- IEEE Board of Director - Division IX Director, representing IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society; IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society; IEEE Information Theory Society; IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society; IEEE Oceanic Engineering Society; IEEE Signal Processing Society; IEEE Vehicular Technology Society, 2016-2017 (Director-Elect 2015).
- Past President, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2014-2015.
- President, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2012-2013.
- President-Elect, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2010-2011.
- Co-Founder, Asia-Pacific Signal and Information Processing
Association (APSIPA), 2007-2009.
- Vice President - Publication, IEEE Signal Processing
Society, 2006-2008 (in charge of a portfolio of SPS journals and
the management of editor-in-chiefs and their editorial boards).
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 2003-2005 (Introduced new management system and features that
significantly improve the scope and content appealing to broader
readership, and undertook the leadership to reach the top-ranked
Thomson JCI citation impact out of more than 200 journals in the
electrical and electronic area).
- Founding Editor-in-Chief, EURASIP Journal on Advances in
Signal Processing, 2000-2002. (provided the vision of special
issue oriented journal and led EURASIP JASP to become a highly
respected, leading journal for signal processing and
communications research in less than two years.)
- Prime architect and proposer of IEEE Journal of Selected
Topics on Signal Processing, (based on the proposal developed in
- Prime architect and proposer of IEEE Trans. on Information
Forensics and Security, 2004.
- Board of Governor, IEEE Signal Processing Society,
2004 - present.
- Prime architect and founding member, Asian-Pacific
Association of Signal and Information Processing, 2007.
- General Chair, IEEE International Conference on Acoustic,
Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Hawaii, 2007.
- Co-General Chair, First APSIPA Annual Summit and Conference,
- General Chair, IEEE International workshop on Genomic Signal
Processing and Statistics, Newport, May 2005.
- Chair, Multimedia Signal Processing Technical Committee,
IEEE Signal Processing Society, March, 1999 - Dec. 2001.
- Technical Program Chair, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia
and Expo, Baltimore, Aug. 2003.
- Series Editor, EURASIP Book Series on Signal Processing and
Communications, Hindawi, 2003 - 2005.
- Senior Advisory Editor, EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal
Processing, Hindawi, 2002 - 2005.